In MS Word 2021, bookmarks are useful for marking a specific location in a document. Bookmarks can be used to easily navigate to a particular section of a document, or to create hyperlinks to that section. Here’s how to create and use bookmarks in MS Word 2021.
Creating a Bookmark
- First, place the cursor at the location in the document where you want to create the bookmark.
- Click on the “Insert” tab on the ribbon at the top of the screen.
- In the “Links” section, click on the “Bookmark” button. This will open the “Bookmark” dialog box.
- In the “Bookmark” dialog box, enter a name for the bookmark in the “Bookmark name” field. The name should be short, but descriptive.
- Click “Add” to create the bookmark.
Navigating to a Bookmark
- Click on the “View” tab on the ribbon at the top of the screen.
- In the “Show” section, check the box next to “Navigation pane.” This will open the Navigation pane on the left side of the screen.
- In the Navigation pane, click on the “Headings” tab.
- In the “Headings” tab, you will see a list of all the headings in the document. Any bookmarks you have created will also appear in this list.
- Click on the bookmark you want to navigate to, and Word will take you directly to that location in the document.
Creating a Hyperlink to a Bookmark
- Select the text or object that you want to turn into a hyperlink.
- Right-click on the selected text or object, and click on “Hyperlink” in the context menu. This will open the “Insert Hyperlink” dialog box.
- In the “Insert Hyperlink” dialog box, click on the “Place in This Document” option on the left.
- In the “Place in This Document” section, select the bookmark you want to link to.
- Click “OK” to create the hyperlink.
Bookmarks are a useful tool for navigating long documents, and can help you quickly find the information you need. By using hyperlinks to bookmarks, you can also create a more interactive document that makes it easier for readers to find what they are looking for.